Last week we did Catfish popia, this week we'll be using puff pastry and we also twist the recipe for the filling a little bit. Not to forget we will be making our own Chili Ginger Sauce this week.
Before the task:
Prepare all the ingredients for making Puffy Pastry Catfish.
Pre-made puff pastry (top)
Catfish fillets (bottom)
Shallot, finely chopped
Garlic, finely chopped
Red and green capsicum, diced
Kaffir lime leaves
Fish curry powder
Salt and pepper
Flour, as needed
*mix turmeric powder, and curry powder with water to make a curry paste (save turmeric powder a little bit for marinating the catfish).
During the task:
1. Marinate the catfish fillets with turmeric powder, salt, pepper, and a little bit of flour.
2. Deep fry the catfish fillets until it is cooked.
3. Mashed the fillets and remove ALL the boned
*this time we make it chunky*
4. Saute the shallot and garlic until they are browned a little bit (be careful not to burn them or they will taste bitter).
5 Add blended chili and curry paste and saute until fragrant.
6. Then put lime leaves, and water. Let it reduce until they are dry.
7. After they are dried enough, we put all the other ingredients (except puff pastry) and season with salt and pepper.
8. On a clean surface, roll out the puff pastry and cut it into a uniform shape.
9. Remove the excess flour.
10. Put the filling onto the puff pastry and close it. By using fork, gently press each side to make sure they will not open when they are in the oven.
11. Brush them with eggwash and assemble them onto a baking tray that has been put parchment paper on it.
12. Bake them in the preheated oven approximately 30 minutes with the temperature 180 C or until they are browned and become puffy.
For the dipping sauce, the ingredients are:
Bird eye chili
1. Cut the ginger, chilies, garlic, and coriander leaves into chunks and blend them in a food processor with a little bit of water.
2. Adjust the taste with sugar, salt, and vinegar.
3. Heat the oil and put a tablespoon or so into the dipping sauce and mix them well.
After the task:
Assemble the Puffy Pastry Catfish with the dipping sauce and fried ginger.
We recommend that:
1. Don't use pre-made puff pastry because sometimes they are not properly made.
2. Put extra ginger in the dipping sauce because the acidity in the ginger really goes well with fish or seafood.
3. Make sure when mashing the fillets, remove ALL the bones because there are a few bones left in our fillet when we eat it.
For the dipping sauce it was a very successful one but the puff pastry didn't puff very well. We don't know what went wrong. Maybe for the next experiment we will make our own puff pastry. Make from scratch!
That's all for today. Thanks!